piiskoor

Another fine mess

Reader fan critic teacher reader fan.

McGlue
The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
James Gleick
Complete Novels
Dashiell Hammett, Steven Marcus

Teaching Unprepared Students: Strategies for Promoting Success and Retention in Higher Education - Kathleen F. Gabriel, Sandra M. Flake Recommended from a listserv I'm on. I'm a teacher, and I also have gotten caught up in teaching other teachers. If I'd read this book as simply the former, I think I'd have found it quite readable and clear, and usefully (and concisely) tied to lots of the central research done on student learning as it should/could inform teaching. And I'd also note that I pretty much have a handle on these things already.... I'd rather get past this introductory overview and into more knotty, difficult issues.

But as a faculty developer, given the great range of teaching assumptions and background my colleagues have, and given how few of us get any guidance whatsoever about teaching... well, I think it's pretty damn handy. Strikes a great balance between practical exercises and the theories/research underlying those exercises. It can veer occasionally into bland aphorisms, and not all of the exercises will work for everyone, but I can imagine many colleagues--the student-centered cheerleaders and the dismissive kids-these-days naysayers alike--finding useful strategies. I think the concise capsule summary of the research would spark great conversations among colleagues. And I think it hits at the issues of "at-risk" students and college prep which motivate 70% of the discussions we seem to be having on campus these days.

Recommended.