piiskoor

Another fine mess

Reader fan critic teacher reader fan.

McGlue
The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
James Gleick
Complete Novels
Dashiell Hammett, Steven Marcus
The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Vol. 2 - George Mann, Michael Moorcock, Dominic Green, Brenda Cooper, Neal Asher, Mary Robinette Kowal, Karl Schroeder, Robert Reed, Kay Kenyon, David Louis Edelman, Peter Watts, Paul Di Filippo, Chris Roberson, Dan Abnett I picked this up for the Peter Watts story, and was (yet again) impressed. He squeezes in references to Catholicism, mind control, the war on terror and a security state, and corporate exploitation of advanced technology. He's like Philip Dick with a degree in neuropsychology.

Alas, I kind of cruised over most every other story. Anthologies are a hard sell to me, like a buffet line at a restaurant. Some entrees I don't even want on my plate, and it's rare to find a slew of selections all up to the same standards. Besides Watts, I really dug the Robert Reed story, but after that there were a couple 3-stars and a good number of 2-stars.