piiskoor

Another fine mess

Reader fan critic teacher reader fan.

McGlue
The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
James Gleick
Complete Novels
Dashiell Hammett, Steven Marcus
Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life - Hal Needham A high two stars, emphasis on the ok, not the "just ok"--I'd say this was about exactly akin to watching Cannonball Run, a film that is so generally slapdash and amiable and everyone involved is having such fun it's hard not to just nod along, yes yes CRAZY DOM DELUISE ANTICS and everybody barely containing a smirk and then cars going wicked fast. That kind of okay.

After working through some of the early sharecropper days--a few anecdotes that underscored the unpretentious Needham's likability--the book is one stunt after another. There were a few joking accounts of stars and fellow gag-men, and a few swipes at asshole directors (suck it, Bogdanovich!), and an array of broken bones, misguided and barely-survived leaps falls bangs crashes. Every now and then, there was family in the background. A couple wives come and go, and there are "ladies" in exploits vaguely defined, and then another wife named in the acknowledgments--but there's not a lot of titillating spill-all details, and Ma gets more mention than just about anyone.

Not much of an arc, and after a while--like Cannonball Run--the thing kind of ran together into a repetitive blur.

I still want to be a stuntman.