piiskoor

Another fine mess

Reader fan critic teacher reader fan.

McGlue
The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
James Gleick
Complete Novels
Dashiell Hammett, Steven Marcus
Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile - James Jean, Craig Hamilton, Lan Medina, Steve Leialoha, Bill Willingham A friend gave me this, and I enjoyed it. I was never steeped in comics or fantasy, and so my appreciation of a newer (newish? or maybe just newish to me) wave of writers engaged with either/both can be troubled.

I mean, with not one ounce of snobbishness intended here, there was a reason I didn't read comics [too short, and I read too fast, and this seemed like too much buck for too little bang] and fantasy [I just couldn't stand the portentous heroism of most fantasy]. So I had to be convinced to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman (and then other works), and he went and wrecked anyone who's come since by being just friggin' brilliant.

Still and all, this was a pleasure to read, even if it took me about 25 minutes, and even if it won't stick much in my head. It's not Gaiman (or Alan Moore), let alone Chris Ware or Alison Bechdel, but I may try to check out further works in the series, which my friend promises get better and better.