piiskoor

Another fine mess

Reader fan critic teacher reader fan.

McGlue
The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood
James Gleick
Complete Novels
Dashiell Hammett, Steven Marcus
The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That is Connecting the World - David Kirkpatrick I'm going to just echo the NY Times review by David Pogue: as a concise history of Facebook's rise, with an emphasis on the capital/corporate struggles around the next big thing, this'd be a solid, engaging bit of journalism. But Kirkpatrick excels when unpacking the sociocultural implications of the site--all these new tangles of Self and Community and Privacy and Authority enacted through the increasingly-omnipresent contact zone of facebook. I wish the book had condensed the history and spent more time exploring, engaging such analyses.

I'm tempted to veer into one of two prominent social-networky rants, either (A) to overdisclose a deep personal history of my Self which parallels the performances of self propagated in the new world of endless networking or (B) to overanalyze some stray claim or another from the book, riffing into bloggy rants about What This All Means.
Instead, I'll more briefly note that I have an alias on Facebook, having snuck past their censors. I don't really care about protecting my identity, nor am I particularly keen on virtual cosplay, gallivanting behind the Mask. I just kind of like that I have violated a minute but basic tenet of Facebook and the new Openness, and I'm getting away with it, too, despite the presence of about 30 billion meddling kids.

This kind of social networking (whether facebook or this here bookface) seems rather tailormade for a schmoe like myself. I like the quasi-public perfomance where you can be a bit more aggressive, overtly strange or silly or savage, a bit more friendly (using lots of "!" marks when they never enter into my actual speech patterns) -- I can lean into what I like about extroversion while also sidestepping all I don't like about being around lots of people. (E.g., the endless stress of trying to be what the people all around want me to be, the anxiety emergent from my overgrown superego's attention to other people's feelings, the desire to slink off into a corner and amuse myself....)

Just to be a pill, I'm not going to post this to my Facebook update page. Take that, Zuckerberg!